PhD Students

In addition to student loans, PhD students may have access to three kinds of financial support: scholarships and fellowships, Graduate Instructorships, and tuition waivers (in conjunction with teaching).

Scholarships and fellowships

The English Department has access to a limited amount of scholarship money, for which PhD students will be considered. In the future we expect to develop some research fellowships that will be available to PhD students.

Graduate Instructorships

All students are encouraged to apply for a paid Graduate Instructorship. The assignment will be 50 percent time, or approximately 20 hours of work per week. The normal teaching load is two sections of writing classes (e.g., composition). Guarantee of continued support is contingent upon three factors: 1) acceptable teaching performance; 2) acceptable academic performance and progress towards the degree; and 3) sufficient funding from the university allowing the department to continue hiring GIs. Although we anticipate that students will complete the degree in four years, support may be available for a fifth year if necessary.

Graduate Instructorship duties begin in August with a week-long, in-service training workshop prior to the semester, conducted by the Director of Writing. GIs are also expected to attend departmental meetings as they are scheduled before classes begin and to enroll in Engl 6820: Practicum in Teaching English during fall semester if they have not done so already.

If PhD students have passed Engl 7860: Teaching Technical Writing or demonstrated equivalent formal preparation, they may be given the opportunity to teach certain upper-division technical communication courses, notably Engl 3080: Introduction to Technical Communication, Engl 3400: Professional Writing, and Engl 3410: Professional Writing Technology.

Tuition waivers: Doctoral students who work as Graduate Instructors receive waivers of resident (instate) tuition, leaving them to pay only the fees associated with their classes. Students who are not employed by the English Department or by another department as Graduate Instructors receive no waivers and must pay full tuition and fees.

US citizens who enter the doctoral program as residents of states other than Utah will also have their nonresident (out-of-state) tuition waived if they work as Graduate Instructors, but only for the first year. By the end of that year they will need to have established Utah residency to avoid being charged nonresident tuition in subsequent years.

International students, who cannot legally establish Utah residency, will continue to receive waivers of nonresident tuition as long as they are employed as Graduate Instructors.

Tuition waivers will cover only those classes approved by the student’s Supervisory Committee for inclusion on the student’s Program of Study form. Students must check with their Supervisory Committee before registering for classes each semester. The Supervisory Committee may approve certain upper-division undergraduate classes, but lower-division undergraduate classes and recreational classes will not be covered by tuition waivers.

Classes taken through Distance Education may have higher tuition costs than on-campus classes. Tuition waivers are not increased to cover this difference in cost, which must be paid by the student.